When you hear the word cleansing what do you think? Scrubbing your face with soap and water, using a toner or face wash? You wouldn’t be wrong, but let’s be honest, skincare can be kind of confusing especially something as vague as “cleansing” but proper cleansing is a crucial step for an effective at-home skincare routine!
The buildup of oil, dirt, daily keratinization, makeup, and environmental toxins not only age the skin when not properly cleansed away but will inhibit products from being as beneficial as they are intended to be. By removing these buildups prior to other skincare products, this creates a fresh, clean surface for your products to absorb, your client will receive the highest efficacy of each product applied.
Plus, the whole process only takes around a minute, so no excuses!
View this post on Instagram
How a basic cleanse is done?
- Start by taking a quarter size amount of cleanser onto your fingertips and liberally rub all over the face without adding water. Massage the product into the skin gently and thoroughly for 10-15 seconds.
- Cup your hands and wet them under the sink, and massage the product with a small amount of water into your skin for 45 secs.
- Take two dampened 4×4 cloths and fold them in half, then take each folded 4×4 and fold them over each index finger. This will allow you to gently yet thoroughly begin wiping the skin in an up and outward motion to remove the cleanser and buildup present on the skin. Be sure to hold the skin taut while wiping the skin. Flip over the 4×4’s to expose the clean side and continue cleansing the face by wiping.
- Rinse 4x4s as necessary to ensure the face is completely cleansed. Repeat steps as necessary until the face is thoroughly cleansed and the 4x4s are white in appearance to indicate all product has been removed.
- If you do not have 4×4 clothes then I would recommend using a clean white washcloth. The white color will allow you to see if all the makeup and dirt have been removed. Make sure you put in the dirty laundry when you are done cleansing your skin. DO NOT reuse the same washcloth without washing it. As soon as you put down the dirty washcloth, it will start to breed bacteria. You do not want to put bacteria on your skin when you go to cleanse your skin again. I personally like the 4×4 cloths better because I can just throw them away after.
- Pat face dry with a clean towel.
My Favorite Skin cleaning device
The MY SKIN BUDDY, in my opinion, is the most revolutionizing at-home skin device that has came out in the past 5 years. The MY SKIN BUDDY utilizes four different proven technologies. I’m not going to talk about all the benefits in this blog. I going to talk specifically on the cleansing mode. This device will give you a deep cleanse just as if you were seeing an esthetician in the spa. The MY SKIN BUDDY uses ultrasonic vibration, ion care and LED to gently exfoliate dead skin cells. It also, provides a deep cleanse and kills off the P.bacteria. The best part is the device has a metal head that can be wiped down with isopropyl alcohol to sanitize after every use. No more washing washcloths or buying any other disposable item to cleanse your skin!
My Favorite Skin cleansing technique
The best way to clean your skin at night is by using a double cleanse technique. This is when you massage the oil into your skin prior to your regular or a corrective cleanser. Applying oil before your cleaners provide for a deep pore cleanse. Also great for removing makeup and combating those stubborn blackheads!
Starting with an oil cleanser, massage into your skin for 15 secs, DO NOT rise off. Then on top of your oil cleanser apply the corrective/ deep pore cleansing cleanser. Massage into your skin for 45 secs. Next is to rinse off your cleansers. My favorite cleansers for the double cleaning technique is Cicadia’s Vitamin Veil Cleanser. This cleanser is made from GMO-free soybean oil that is great for inhibiting hair growth on the face and leaves behind a veil of nourishing vitamins on your skin. The second cleanser is Circadia’s Micro-Exfoliating Honey Cleanser for deep clean to remove dirt and makeup from the skin.
Is A Claraosonic Good To Use?
I am not a fan of clarasonics/ skin brushes. Due to the amount of bacteria that they hold. You can not throw them in the washer machine to disinfect after every time you use them.
I hope you found this blog helpful! Leave a comment below if you have any questions!
Holly is an international award-winning aesthetician and business owner with over 10 years of experience in the aesthetics industry. She was named the 2019 Top International Holistic Esthetician at the Skin Games and has owned BOHO Alternative Med Spa in Allen, TX since 2015. Holly is a wife, mother of five, and a skin fanatic whose personal mission is to help her clients create healthy, glowing skin through alternative methods.