View this post on Instagram
Have you ever put on your makeup only to see huge pores on your face? Ever want to rock a makeup-less face only to be self-conscious about what looks like a dirty face? It happens to all of us which is why “How do I make my pores smaller, is one of the most common questions in my treatment room.
So, I have good news and bad news for you. Let’s start with the bad: There is no way to shrink your pores.
Yes, you have been scammed by the beauty industry into thinking that you can shrink your pore size. And Yes, that explains why everything you have tried has not worked.
The good news? Not all is lost, there are some tricks to reduce the appearance of your pores.
So What Exactly is a Pore?
So before I get into some of the ways you can reduce the appearance of your pores, we need to talk about what a pore is. And I know, you gurus out there probably know what a pore is, but let’s cover it just in case.
A Pore houses a hair follicle and sebaceous gland and serves as a gateway for sebum, our skin’s natural oil. A pore is just a channel for things to reach the skin’s surface and allows oxygen into our skin.
The size of your pore is genetic.
Your pore size is genetic and can not be changed. What is making your pore size appear larger is due to the skin around a pore loses its firmness when we age and due to the lack of support from the surrounding tissue. If your pores seem to be getting bigger as you get older, you’re not imagining things: aging and sun damage also contribute to pore size. Dirt and makeup build up inside the pore can also make it appear to be darker and more noticeable, AKA those annoying blackheads that everyone hates.
While you can’t shrink large pores, you can make them appear smaller. Everyone has pores! And more than likely you are the only one who notices them!
Here are some ways to keep your pores healthy:
- Stop using your makeup wipes as your cleanser. You can use makeup wipes to remove your makeup, however, you need a good cleanser after to really get in there and give your pores a deep clean.
- The best way to clean your skin at night is by using a double cleanse technique. Starting with an oil cleanser, massage into your skin for 15 secs, DO NOT rise off. Then on top of your oil cleanser apply the corrective/ deep pore cleansing cleanser. Massage into your skin for 45 secs. Next is to rinse off your cleansers. My favorite cleanser for the double cleanse technique is Cicadia’s Vitamin Veil Cleanser. This cleanser is made from GMO-free soybean oil that is great for inhibiting hair growth on the face and leaves behind a veil of nourishing vitamins on your skin. The second cleanser is Circadia’s Micro-Exfoliating Honey Cleanser for deep clean to remove dirt and makeup from the skin. A double cleanse technique also helps combat blackheads!
- Do not sleep with makeup on! That is a major SKIN SIN! It will only make your pores appear bigger. EKKKK!
- Avoid highlighters in your makeup – it tends to make your pores look bigger
- Use clay masks to help absorb oils, bacteria, and dirt at least once a week. – I love clay masks.
- Use non-comedogenic makeup and skincare to keep follicles clear.
- Exfoliation is vital to help slough dead skin leaving your skin with that beautiful JLO glow. Here’s my favorite, again it’s Circadia’s Micro-Exfoliating Honey Cleanser now you know why this is our most popular selling product. The cleanser has beeswax in it that helps absorbs excess oil and honey which is a great antimicrobial that kills off bacteria from the skin.
- Retinol helps clean out your pores and tighten the skin around your pore, helping your pore size appear smaller. My Favorites are Circadia’s Night Time Repair is you under the age of 35 and Night Time Repair Plus is you are over the age of 35 or struggle with acne scars.
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water!
Holly is an international award-winning aesthetician and business owner with over 10 years of experience in the aesthetics industry. She was named the 2019 Top International Holistic Esthetician at the Skin Games and has owned BOHO Alternative Med Spa in Allen, TX since 2015. Holly is a wife, mother of five, and a skin fanatic whose personal mission is to help her clients create healthy, glowing skin through alternative methods.